Bilingual Field Specialist
JOB TITLE: Bilingual Field Specialist
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, Non-Exempt
HOURS: 40 hours per week, Occasional Weekend and Evening Hours Required
SALARY: $20 per hour; Competitive Benefits Package
REPORTS TO: Youth Initiative Manager
LandPaths seeks an individual with a passion for building a diverse, healthy and whole community connected with the land. The ideal candidate is driven, energetic and creative; excels in an active work environment, is committed to equity in access to nature, and loves working with youth in the outdoors. The Field Specialist will provide day-to-day field implementation of LandPaths’ youth programs including: “In Our Own BackYard” (IOOBY), Inspired Forward, and Camps (held during school breaks throughout year and summer) for students of all ages. IOOBY is an award-winning, innovative field-based education and nature-immersion program for elementary youth; Inspired Forward combines education and youth leadership with nature-immersion for teens and young adults. The Field Specialist will represent LandPaths in the classroom and in the field in a manner that builds a sense of belonging and collaboration with teachers, parents, volunteers, and fellow staff members. In addition to the implementation of specifically designed environmental education curriculum, the ideal candidate also loves engaging youth in unstructured play and exploration in nature, enjoys leading nature games and crafts, singing songs, storytelling…all things camp!
The Field Specialist is expected to strive for excellence in the implementation of LandPaths’ nature-immersion youth programs, including consistent modeling of LandPaths’ core values and best practices. The Field Specialist is responsible for day-of program logistics and safety, and for providing daily reflections of the effectiveness of the program.
- Become trained on specific youth program field-based education goals, approach and curriculum;
- Lead groups of youth in hands-on activities in a fun and engaging manner; *includes field programs on the land as well as online field experiences adapted for distant learning during shelter-in-place;
- Utilize positive behavioral management techniques;
- Become knowledgeable and conversant in all aspects of LandPaths’ mission, values, strategic plan, preserves and community programs;
- Develop and deepen through active listening and mutual understanding, relationships to engage and expand student, parent, teacher and volunteer participation, advancing LandPaths’ youth program goals;
- Maintain all field day necessities (logistics, safety, gear, etc.) needed for program, including tracking gear inventory and storage;
- Under the guidance of the Program Manager and Senior Field Specialist, work as part of a team to facilitate field day program, including pre-program task of assessing site conditions and preparation, leading large and small groups of youth, parents and teachers, and post-program tracking and evaluation;
- Assist in the communication and coordination of volunteers in all day-of activities.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
A successful candidate will likely have significant experience leading youth programs, including the following qualifications:
- A genuine passion for rooting youth in nature and for equity in access to nature;
- Experience working with youth and leading groups;
- Comfort and confidence in the outdoors;
- Experience implementing specifically designed curriculum and able to engage youth in fun camp games, crafts, songs, storytelling, and unstructured play and exploration in nature;
- Detail oriented, well organized;
- Strong communication skills: articulate with proven ability to write effectively and speak persuasively, willing to have difficult conversations to build community;
- Bi-lingual (Spanish/English) and having a significant cross-cultural experience or understanding;
- HS diploma or equivalent, some college and or relevant work experience
A successful candidate will embrace LandPaths’ values and culture, including the following:
- Share LandPaths’ commitment to equity and inclusivity, and “no child left inside”;
- Genuinely loves working with youth and being in the outdoors;
- Is creative, energetic, and fun;
- Empathic and caring;
- Positive problem solver;
- Punctual and professional;
- Enjoys learning and supporting the work of others;
- Works best in busy work environment, managing multiple variables with divergent goals;
- Enjoys contributing to a positive work environment.
Pay for this position begins at $20 per hour and includes a competitive benefits package.
Interested applicants should send a BRIEF AND SPECIFIC cover letter and resume to LandPaths ~ attn: HR, 618 4th Street, Suite 217, Santa Rosa, CA 95404 or email@example.com. This position is open until filled.